Meeting Agendas & Minutes
Shade Tree Meeting Minutes 02/03/10
Minutes of the Reorganization Meeting of the Morris Plains Shade Tree Commission held on February 3, 2010 at 2:00 p.m. in the Borough Chamber. Present at roll call were:
Present: Mrs. Margaret Law
Mr. Donald Salerno
Mr. Lawrence Travaglia
Mr. Dave Visscher
Mr. Lloyd Williams, Chairman
Mr. David Dubee, Forester
Councilwoman Suzanne McCluskey
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
Mr. Williams called the meeting to order. He stated that adequate notice of this meeting has been posted and published in accordance with Chapter 231 of the Public Law of 1975, "Open Public Meetings Act."
NOMINATIONS FOR CHAIRMAN
Mr. Williams stated the first action will be the nomination of a Chairman for 2010.
Mrs. Law nominated Mr. Lloyd Williams to be Chairman of the Board for the year 2010. Seconded by Mr. Visscher. There being no further nominations, it was moved by Mr. Visscher the nominations be closed. Voice vote. All in favor. Motion carried. Mr. Williams is now Chairman for the year 2010. Mr. Williams abstained.
NOMINATIONS FOR VICE CHAIRMAN
Mr. Williams stated the next order of business is the nomination for Vice Chairman for 2010.
Mr. Travaglia nominated Mr. Donald Salerno to be Vice Chairman of the Board for the year 2010. Seconded by Mr. Visscher There being no further nominations, it was moved by Mr. Williams that the nominations be closed. Voice vote. All in favor. Motion carried. Mr. Salerno is now Vice Chairman for the year 2010. Mr. Salerno abstained.
NOMINATIONS FOR ARBOR DAY CHAIRMAN
Mr. Williams stated the next order of business is the nomination for Chairman of the Arbor Day Ceremony for 2010. Mr. Williams moved that Mr. Travaglia be Chairman of the Arbor Day Ceremony for the year 2010. Seconded be Mr. Visscher. There being no further nominations, it was moved by Mr. Williams that the nominations be closed. Voice vote. All in favor. Motion carried. Mr. Travaglia is now Chairman of the Arbor Day Ceremony for 2010. Mr. Travaglia abstained.
Mr. Williams read the Resolution, "Notice of Meetings", which provides all information relating to the Board’s 2010 meetings, including the meeting to be held in January 2011. This Resolution is on file in the Board Secretary’s office of the Shade Tree Commission.
The Resolution is as follows:
BE IT RESOLVED by the Shade Tree Commission of the Borough of Morris Plains in the County of Morris in the State of New Jersey as follows:
- During the year 2010, the regular meetings of the Shade Tree Commission of this Borough shall be held on the first Wednesday of each month, with the exception August, when there will be no meeting; in the months of February, March, and December at 2:00 P.M. and in the months of April, May, June, July, September, October and November at 7:00 P.M. and the January, 2011 meeting will be held on the second Wednesday, at 2:00 P.M.
- All said regular meetings, at which formal action will be taken, will take place in the Council Chambers in the Municipal Building at 531 Speedwell Avenue.
- Exact dates of the aforesaid regular meetings in the year 2010 are: February 3rd, March 3rd, April 7th, May 5th, June 2nd, July 7th, September 1st, October 6th, November 3rd, December 1st, and January 12th, 2011.
- At any meeting where an agenda is to be used, said agenda shall be furnished to all persons in attendance at the meeting.
- All persons are invited to all of the meetings hereinbefore set forth.
- The Secretary is directed to post prominently and maintain posted throughout the year upon the Bulletin Board in the Borough Hall Annex a certified copy of this resolution. In addition, the Secretary is directed to mail forth a certified copy of this resolution for publication to the following:
- This resolution is being adopted in order to comply with P.S. 1975 Chapter 231, "Open Public Meetings Act."
- This Resolution shall take effect immediately and will be certified by the Commission Secretary, Karen M. Coffey.
a) Morris News Bee
b) Morris County Daily Record
Also the secretary shall maintain in his/her file a certified copy of this resolution.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Mr. Salerno moved that the minutes of the December 2, 2009 meeting be accepted as presented, seconded by Mr. Travaglia. Voice vote. All in favor. Motion carried.
Mr. Williams commented that in the Old Business portion of the minutes (12/2/09) there is reference made to a tree on Mountain Way that is dead near St. Paul’s Church. He spoke with Cerbo Nursery and they will replace this tree in the spring.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC
Mr. Williams noted there are copies of the budget.
The Commission Secretary stated that the 2009 budget overrun will be applied to the 2010 budget.
Mr. Dubee presented his report.
8 Greenwood Road. – Forester stated that (1) 24"-36" maple tree w/stump should be removed and (1) 24"-36" pin oak need to be pruned. 10 Greenwood Road – Forester stated that (1) 24"-36" maple tree w/stump should be removed. 7 Wyndwood Road – Forester stated the (1) 24"-36" maple tree w/stump should be removed.
Councilwoman McCluskey advised that the 2010 budget would not be approved until May or even June 2010. It will depend on when the Borough hears from the State in connection with the amount of State aid that will be provided.
Mrs. Law moved to approve that this work be performed, seconded by Mr. Visscher. Voice vote. All in favor. Motion carried.
Mr. Williams described a tree at the library that has a broken branch near the top of the tree. He was told this by someone and has not actually seen it himself. He will check this out and contact the Forester as to exactly what this situation is.
Councilwoman McCluskey congratulated those serving as Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Commission as well as Mr. Travaglia for serving as the Arbor Day Chairperson. She commented that there are two new Council members – Laurie Fu and Ray Zabihach. She also mentioned the change that occurred regarding the dispatching responsibilities and that it is being done by the County. As a result, there is police clerk who is on duty and will be on duty in the evenings up until a certain time. The police must know the exact schedule and time for meetings so the police are aware. She requested that a copy of the schedule of meetings be provided to the police. It should also be provided to Steve Welsh, webmaster, with the times.
The Commission Secretary will check to ensure that the times are included on what she has already provided to Steve Welsh.
Councilwoman McCluskey explained that the police clerk’s hours will be adjusted depending on what it happening in the building during the day and at night. He is also a crossing guard.
There being no further business, Mr. Travaglia moved the meeting be adjourned, seconded by Mr. Visscher. Voice vote. All in favor. Motion carried.
Karen M. Coffey