About the Department
The Borough of Morris Plains Construction Office is responsible for issuing all construction permits and for administering and enforcing the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code. The department consists of a licensed Construction Official, Building, Plumbing, Electric and Fire Sub-Code Officials and Technical Assistant.
Do You Need a Permit?
Regardless of your project, the first steps in the process are:
- Review a chart of Zoning and Permit Requirements for common projects to determine if you require a zoning approval and/or construction permit
- Learn more about the process and identify required documentation
Call the Construction Office secretary at 973-538-0325 to schedule an inspection. There is a minimum of 24-hour notice required. Your permit number is required for all inspection requests.
- Building Inspections:Tuesday and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Electrical Inspections: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Plumbing/Mechanical Inspections:Monday and Wednesday from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Fire Inspections: Tuesday and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 pm.
- Zoning Officer:Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Construction OfficialOffice Hours: Monday, Tuesday and Friday 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Permit Application Forms
Large Construction Sites in the Borough
Large construction projects are currently underway on Tabor Road and American Road in the Borough of Morris Plains. These developments resulted from Builders’ Remedy lawsuits, a Court Order, and ultimately settlements related to affordable housing requirements. Visit page 9 of the Borough’s Master Plan Re-Examination Report, adopted in 2018, for more details.
The maps below provide a birds-eye view of these project plans.
William O’ Connor
Construction Official and Electrical Inspector
Construction Department Technical Assistant
Fire Sub Code Official
Building & Construction Official