About the Department
The Borough of Morris Plains Construction Office is responsible for issuing all construction permits and for administering and enforcing the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code. The department consists of a licensed Construction Official, Building, Plumbing, Electric and Fire Sub-Code Officials and Technical Assistant.
Do You Need a Permit?
Regardless of your project, the first steps in the process are:
- Review a chart of Zoning and Permit Requirements for common projects to determine if you require a zoning approval and/or construction permit
- Learn more about the process and identify required documentation
Call the Construction Office secretary at 973-538-0325 to schedule an inspection. There is a minimum of 24-hour notice required. Your permit number is required for all inspection requests.
- Construction Official Office Hours: Tuesday and Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
- Building Inspections: Tuesday and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Electrical Inspections: Monday and Wednesday from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Plumbing/Mechanical Inspections: Monday and Wednesday from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Fire Inspections: Monday and Wednesday from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Zoning Officer: Tuesday and Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Permit Application Forms
Construction Official and Building Inspector
Construction Department Technical Assistant
Building & Construction Official