The Morris Plains Fire Prevention Bureau conducts inspections under the New Jersey Uniform Fire Code & The International Fire Code, New Jersey Edition.
Fire Inspections are conducted at all commercial properties, life hazard and non-life hazard use locations, at residential locations for sales and rental agreements, and any special request inspection including any permit type inspection.
Selling/Buying a Property/Building
Before buying, selling or renting your property or building, the state of New Jersey mandates an inspection for compliance with New Jersey Fire Code. It is recommended that the seller or buyer complete an OPRA (Open Public Records Act) Request form to ensure there are no open permits for the property inspection for compliance with New Jersey Fire Code. It is recommended that the seller or buyer complete an OPRA (Open Public Records Act) Request form to ensure there are no open permits for the property.
- The owner of any one- or two-family residential structure shall be required to obtain from the Bureau of Fire Prevention within the Morris Plains Fire Department an inspection and certificate evidencing compliance with the smoke sensitive alarm device requirements, carbon monoxide detection alarming device and fire extinguisher regulations. Inspection requirements fall under N.J.S.A. 52:27D-198.1 / N.J.S.A. 52:27D-133.3 / N.J.A.C. 5:70-2.3 et seq. prior to any sale, lease or change of occupancy of the premise.
Read our Mission Statement.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Enforcement of the NJ Uniform Fire Code, National Standards and Local codes.
- Fire Investigations in coordination with Local, County & State Agencies.
- Public Education for Schools, Adult Communities and Local Businesses.
- Senior Home Evaluations and Smoke Detector program.
- Fire Safety Training & Planning for Local Businesses & At Risk Communities.
- Review and Exercise Emergency Operations Plans for our Community Partners to include Assisted Living Facilities, Hotel, Schools and Critical Infrastructure.
- Coordinate with the Morris plains Police and Office of Emergency Management.
- Fire Safety Permits
- Knox Box program maintenance.
- Plan & Site review.
- Maintenance of Documents, Records and required Reports.
- Investigate citizen complaints