How Do I Apply for a Marriage License?
All marriage license applicants are required to make an appointment by calling (973) 538-2224 after reading the instructions below.
Marriage License Application Instructions
- The Applicants and one witness (over the age of 18 must appear together at the Registrar’s office in the municipality where either applicant lives. If both applicants cannot appear at the same time, each may come separately but with the SAME Witness.
- Download a Marriage License Application HERE or pick one up at the time of your appointment.
- At the time of application, both applicants will need:
- The date of the marriage ceremony and the officiant’s name as well as the address where the ceremony will take place
- A certified copy of your birth certificates or passports is helpful
- ID with your current legal address (ex. of id are: driver’s license, lease agreement or tax return)
- A copy of divorce papers or death certificate(s) if this is not a first marriage is helpful
- Parents’ places of birth and full birth names
- State Law requires a 72-hour waiting period from the day you apply before you can pick up your license
- Morris Plains’ Marriage License Fee is $28.00 paid in cash or check only
Certified copy of your marriage license can be purchased at the municipality where the marriage took place. Morris Plains’ fee for a certified copy is $15.00 each.