Morris Plains Municipal Court
NJ Courts Mission Statement
We are an independent branch of government constitutionally entrusted with the fair and just resolution of disputes in order to preserve the rule of law and to protect the rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States and this State.
The Municipal Court of Morris Plains has jurisdiction over the following types of cases:
- Motor Vehicle/Traffic & Parking Violations
- Forest and Parks Violations
- Disorderly Person/Petty Disorderly Persons Offense(DP/PDP Offenses)
- Weights and Measures Violations
- Violations of Penalty Enforcement Act
- Violations of Municipal Ordinances
- Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- Division of Fish and Wildlife Violations
- Any other proceedings where jurisdiction is granted by statute.
Court Location & Schedule
Morris Plains Municipal Court
531 Speedwell Avenue
Morris Plains, NJ 07950
Municipal Court Administrator: Sarah Thornberry
Violation Bureau Hours
Monday-Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM (closed between 12-1 for lunch).
Temporarily virtual on Tuesday mornings at 10:30 AM. Please call the office to arrange to drop off, pick up, or speak to a staff member.
Municipal Court Update
In an effort to maintain public safety during the COVID-19 pandemic, the municipal court will continue to host remote virtual court sessions. Please contact us to schedule a proceeding and/or provide updated personal information.
If you are disputing a traffic ticket and do not wish to appear in court, many cases are now eligible for review through the Online Municipal Case Resolution System at njmcdirect.com. You may select the option for case dispute and enter your ticket information. Eligible traffic tickets will be reviewed by the prosecutor and you will be notified with their recommendation.
You may call the court to schedule an appointment. We are committed to delivering exceptional customer service in “The Community of Caring” and strive to provide a satisfying court experience for all.
There are four paramount values representing the core of what we stand for as an organization and to accomplish our mission:
- Quality Service
- Judge: Michael A. Carlucci, JMC
- Prosecutor: Chirag Mehta, Esq.
- Public Defender: John Paul Velez, Esq.
- Forms of Payment Accepted: Cash/Check/Money Order/Visa/Mastercard
- Online Traffic Payments: www.njmcdirect.com
- ADA Coordinator: Sarah L. Thornberry, CMCA
- Link to NJ Courts: www.njcourts.gov
- Link to MVC (Fines/Penalties/Points): www.state.nj.us/mvc/license/suspension.htm
Scheduling a Court Appearance
If your summons is not marked “court appearance required” and you wish to plead “not guilty,” you must call to schedule a court appearance. Failure to comply will result in a second court appearance.
Mediation is a confidential, structured, non-adversarial process that allows a neutral third party to assist disputing parties in reaching a mutually acceptable solution. The mediation process can be a less expensive, informal, and more meaningful alternative than the traditional trial process. This is because of the efforts of trained volunteers and the resolution being decided by the participants. The court will refer appropriate cases to mediation.
Please notify the Municipal Court Administrator prior to your court appearance if you need the services of an interpreter or require an ADA accommodation.
Helpful Court Links
- Link to NJ Courts Website
- Welcome to NJ Courts (English)
- Bienvenido a NJ Courts (Español)
- Your Day in Court (English)
- Sus Derechos en el Juzgado (Español)
- How to File an Appeal (English)
- Cómo Apelar una Decisión de un Juzgado Municipal (Español)
- Opening Statement Video Link
- PLEASE CLICK HERE to view a document outlining the MVC Points Schedule, License Restoration and other MVC Issues.
- Access NJMCdirect – the fast, secure and convenient way to access your traffic ticket information online.
- New Jersey Judiciary Records Request Form
- Explanation on how to use the Records Request Form (in English)
- Explanation on how to use the Records Request Form (in Spanish)
- How to expunge your record