Garage Sale Permit
Notice to Applicant
The following rules must be observed for all Garage Sales held in the Borough of Morris Plains:
- No more than two (2) garage sales at any one address, or conducted by anyone at one address, or conducted by any one person, family or group within a calendar year.
- No sale may take place over more than three (3) consecutive days. Sales on successive weekends or with intervening non-sale days are considered separate sales.
- Sales may not start before 9:00 AM and must end by 5:00 PM
- Garage sales are permitted only as incidental to the residential use of a property, and are not intended to permit business operations in a residential zone.
- Signs advertising garage sales are subject to the following conditions:
- Only two signs are permitted. One (1) at the premises where the sale is held, and one (1) additional directional sign at the nearest intersection to the premises where the sale is being conducted.
- Signs advertising garage sales may be up no sooner than 24 hours before the sale is to begin and must be removed before dusk on the last day of the sale.
- No sign shall be placed upon a traffic sign, traffic signal, shade tree, other governmental property or utility pole.
- No sign shall be larger than 24″ x 18″.
- Signs shall only contain information as permitted by ordinance.
- Each license issued under this ordinance must be prominently displayed on the premises upon which the garage sale is conducted throughout the entire period of the licensed sale.
VIOLATIONS OF ORDINANCE ARE SUBJECT TO PENALTIES