Garage Sale Permit
Notice to Applicant
The following rules must be observed for all Garage Sales held in the Borough of Morris Plains:
- No more than two (2) garage sales at any one address, or conducted by anyone at one address, or conducted by any one person, family or group within a calendar year.
- No sale may take place over more than three (3) consecutive days. Sales on successive weekends or with intervening non-sale days are considered separate sales.
- Sales may not start before 9:00 AM and must end by 5:00 PM
- Garage sales are permitted only as incidental to the residential use of a property, and are not intended to permit business operations in a residential zone.
- Signs advertising garage sales are subject to the following conditions:
- Only two signs are permitted. One (1) at the premises where the sale is held, and one (1) additional directional sign at the nearest intersection to the premises where the sale is being conducted.
- Signs advertising garage sales may be up no sooner than 24 hours before the sale is to begin and must be removed before dusk on the last day of the sale.
- No sign shall be placed upon a traffic sign, traffic signal, shade tree, other governmental property or utility pole.
- No sign shall be larger than 24″ x 18″.
- Signs shall only contain information as permitted by ordinance.
- Each license issued under this ordinance must be prominently displayed on the premises upon which the garage sale is conducted throughout the entire period of the licensed sale.
- A $10 garage sale permit fee must be paid before permit can be issued
VIOLATIONS OF ORDINANCE ARE SUBJECT TO PENALTIES
Please complete garage sale permit application below, or print and complete the Garage Sale License, and submit with $10 permit fee.
Garage sale permits, once issued, may be picked up at town hall during normal business hours, or may be mailed to you. If requesting to be mailed, please apply and pay with 7 days notice to ensure you will receive your permit in time. You may also do the entire application/payment/pick up process at town hall during normal business hours.
Pay in Person, leave in Drop Box or Mail to:
Office of the Borough Clerk
Borough of Morris Plains
531 Speedwell Ave
Morris Plains, NJ 07950
(Please make checks payable to The Borough of Morris Plains)